You should clarify for the masses, which size frame 416 it is that you are looking for.
cheers
You should clarify for the masses, which size frame 416 it is that you are looking for.
cheers
Hi, Marvin.
Below the Reply to Thread pane is the Additional Options pane. Click the Manage Attachments button there to open the Manage Attachments pane.
Browse for your picture file and then click the Upload button.
(IMPORTANT: File size is limited. I use IRFANVIEW(freeware) to reduce file size to meet the limit listed in this pane and then save it to Desktop for easy retrieval).
Review your reply, then Submit post.
Cheers, Marshall.![]()
okay..he has 418's..they are small frame, but without pictures of the cabinet we cant tell if its a modified install..hey marvin..are the cabs plywood? do they have a full size rear panel or just half? do they have two vertical braces running up the back? will you be using these as hifi or sound reinforcement? in the living room or? the crossovers you have should work..if they have attenuators for the horn but save some money for some nice altec ones..after all..
the 418 is really a great speaker..tons of db's and very clean, just not great down low. look at the old threads on modifications, it will yeild great results, and as you are refinishing anyway, nows a good time.
i prefer the 515b in all .. tho the g model really is hard to beat. something about the accuracy of the larger magnet, at least thats how i hear it. especially in the 1st octave
"those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Not sure what you mean by modified install?
The 418 was never used in the A7 from the factory.
And I don't argue the 418 is a good speaker...in a bass reflex box, not the A7.
Yes it will make sound. But I would sell them as fast as I could. Even the 421 is way better than the 418 in a horn loaded box. And they wouldn't be my speaker of choice...
OTOH, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a project only has to please one person.
In my case it's the redhead....![]()
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Attempting MAH's suggestion.
I'm getting there slowly.
Cabinets are plywood. At one point the horns were placed inside the cabinet. The cabinets were then flipped upside down. I do not want to use them in that fashion. Also the port size has been altered. I can't seem to find the correct port size for these speakers. There is a piece in the back that is removable for woofer access. I don't see any reinforcement inside the cabinets except a horizontal piece across the back wall. I will be using these as HI FI speakers. I suppose I will use the 418's until I can get something better.
I will try to post a better photo as soon as I learn how. Thanks MAH for your help...
Can those 418s be reconed into a 416-8A? Is the magnet the same? Or would it be close enough for the A7 use?
Here are some Altec cabinet plans, courtesy of Lansing Heritage:1970's plans The 828 enclosure is on Page #11. Good luck with your A7 project.
Bookmarks